Monday, September 6, 2010

My "Poor Mans Canvases"

Ive had a few people ask me how I made my self titled "Poor Mans Canvas", so I figured I'd do a tutorial.

Since I wasn't planning on doing this when I made them, I didnt take pictures along the way, so I hope my directions will be easy enough.

I went to Home Depot and had them but a piece of finished wood in to 8 12x12 pieces. (I put 2 aside for other projects)

Then I went to Sams and had them print my pictures in the 12x12 size. Each print cost less than $3 (as opposed to Kinkos who wanted $67-ish for 6 prints)

Next I took a can of black spray paint and spray painted the edges of all the wood pieces.

Once they were dry, I Mod-Podged the back of the picture AND the wood and stuck the picture to the wood.

After all the pictures dried to the wood, I did a layer of Mod- Podge over the picture. This gave it the streaky canvas look and sealed the picture to the wood as well.

After that I just bought picture hooks, stuck it to them to the back.

And your done!!! Trust me, if I can do it, so can you!!!


Here is the finished project...



I plan on doing a wall in my kitchen sort of the same way with family photos.

Please comment and let me know what you think!



4 comments:

  1. Those are amazing... Thanks for the tutorial... I can't wait to try this.
    You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! And I so want to try it now!


    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.....they look great!! thanks for sharing! we're getting 12 month photos of jacob taken soon and i was not looking forward to forking out HUNDREDS of dollars for these canvas things.....and now i don't have to!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, That looks great!!! I can't wait to get a house so I can do fun projects like that.

    ReplyDelete